Sunday, May 10, 2009

Leap out of bed and enjoy YOUR mother's day!

Mother's Day.
This day is so happy/ sad for me.
Very bitter sweet.
Missing my own mom is hard.
But being a mom to two sweet, wild boys is a blast.
Being pregnant is such a miraculous blessing.

My sister Lesha who lives in Lynden, visited our mom's grave yesterday. With her were her three young children. Cemeteries are such strange places to visit... and sometimes especially challenging with children. We certainly don't want them to think our mom lies beneath the ground, and a constant desire of mine is making an effort to share the beauty and perfect peace of heaven.
My niece Amara is two and she is one of the cutest little things you could ever see. She has little features, this petite little frame, a really sweet smile... she is a doll. Yesterday, she carried the Gerber daisy through the cemetary following my sister. Amara kept looking around saying "oh no, she isn't here. I don't see her. " It made me so sad to think that Amara FINALLY thought she was about to meet this heroic, fabulous Grandma Karen. But I suppose this was also a great teaching moment for Lesha.
When Merit was just three he would often tell me "your mom is coming back!" Because he knew I missed her so. I explained, she isn't -- but that we will see her again someday.
Life is full of challenges. Feeling "short changed" because my mom, the involved, go to parent, died at the young age of 45 -- doesn't heal much. Feeling sorry for myself because we don't have her, isn't very courageous. Being thankful for the guidance and love she gave is healthy. Remembering her sweet spirit and wanting to be for my children what she was for me are goals for me.
______________________________________________________________
I was woken up this morning by our sweet Willem about 30 - 60 minutes before I desired being awoken! I thought "hey kid, it's Mother's Day! Wake up your dad." But I did slowly step out of bed. Willem began begging me to play "monster" He loves being chased around the house and I talk and roar in a scary voice until he gets a bit too scared and begs "Just be mom! Just be mom." I start talking like me, he smiles and he begs to do it all over again. This morning I was in no mood for this game, but I played it and to see his smile and hear his laughter... it is worth it.
Why is it, by the way, that three year olds can LEAP out of bed and start the day running while the rest of us need a little time or a nice shower and maybe a cup of coffee. ??
Happy Mother's Day!! I know so many fabulous moms...Moms with character and grace...what a special day~

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day, Michele! You are such a great mom! I hope your day is fantastic!

mariemolitor said...

Happy Mother's Day my dear friend! May you know today how much JOY you bring your family and friends by being who God has and is making you to be! Love you!

Daphine said...

Beautiful post!

Happy Mother's Day friend!

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a great Mother's Day!

April said...

I thought of my mom all day yesterday, too...and remembered all she was and meant to me. Glad you had such a nice Mother's Day, Michele...you deserved it!

Lesha said...

Sometimes I am so busy answering Kai's 5 year old questions that I forget Amara is only 2 and looks at it differently.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could have that energy first thing in the morning. Actually, Michele, I think you do sometime. I always remember you bright eyed and bushy tailed first thing in the morning. ; )

Weekend Highlights!

Prom!  Stunning couples!  A gorgeous evening!  Willem and Raegen! Yesterday was the baseball parade and opening ceremonies! SO many people! ...