Monday, May 2, 2011

Grateful

I found myself sobbing at my computer last night. Vance and I had been watching the news and the capture and death of Osama bin Laden was huge. I guess it felt like a relief. ?  hmmm I don't know if relief is the right word. I do believe that there had to be a certain amount of emotional closure for many. Especially for those who lost loved ones on 9-11. I know I am also very reflective and thankful because of our military. The United States Military deserves our thanks and honor. I am thankful for the brave men and women who fight for this country, for us. And I am thankful for their families.
I have had several periods of time in my life when I am just not very comfortable. Not comfortable because of mourning, not comfortable because of certain surroundings, growing up there were times when I was uncomfortable and nervous... looking back there is a lot of good that can come out of not being too comfortable. Those are the times when my prayers last hours or days. It seems then I am in a constant conversation with God. Those are the times when I soak up the loved ones around me. When I TREASURE time with my husband and children and know there are many unknowns and that time is fleeting. During times of feeling lost, it seems I am always blessed with people who are just encouraging, wonderful, prayerful and kind.
Also after we experience the bad, we are that much more grateful for the good. Bitter Sweet.
This past weekend was emotional. Saturday was my mom's birthday. I thought of her ALL day. The weather was beautiful, we worked and played in the yard. Sunday we got some yucky news in the morning. I'll protect my family member who wouldn't like me airing all the laundry on the blog. Then we went on a little road trip, brought our boat to Wilbur. I had never been to Wilbur, WA. I can mark that off my list. :0) It was a cute town and we ate at a diner that took forever! But had big juicy burgers. (Merit's favorite food at a restaurant!) Hazel was SO loud and made friends with everyone. Willem was in hysterics over the way Hazel was acting. Vance and Merit just shook their heads. I found myself delighted to be there with two NOISY kids and one well behaved one. :)  And a patient husband, at least he was trying hard to be.
Making memories...
Then the Osama bin Laden news...
Today I am very proud to be an American.

This morning before school I asked Merit to bring up a pile of clean clothes from the laundry room. A big pile. That sweet boy folded every article in that pile. Without being asked. And the smile on his face, well that was enough to make the next few days bright.

These children are huge blessings.





Vance planted some of the garden yesterday.
We are excited.


I am so grateful.

4 comments:

kelly said...

oh my goodness, the thought of Merit folding the laundry for you without being asked just put me in tears! You are so loved!

What a beautiful post. You are so right about those uncomfortable times being important! I needed that reminder. :D love you friend!

Natasha said...

It is true, God reveals himself during those times of suffering and being "uncomfortable." Sometimes I wish He would choose to do it in different ways... but He knows the plan. So thankful for the brave people who are willing to put their lives on the line. I can't imagine what it feels like to walk into danger like they do, like my husband does! I am so thankful for their courage. Your kids are great. I love my conversations with Merit and Willem on the phone :)

April said...

I, too, am so proud to live in this great country of ours! Your kids are just PRECIOUS!

Anonymous said...

I, too, am proud of the soldiers who risk their lives to keep us a little safer!

It sounds like y'all had a great time in Wilbur!

Weekend Highlights!

Prom!  Stunning couples!  A gorgeous evening!  Willem and Raegen! Yesterday was the baseball parade and opening ceremonies! SO many people! ...