Sunday, March 20, 2016

I am still learning from my mom

I think what I love most about growing older is that I have the wisdom of my years so far, but I am still learning. The learning doesn't stop. And this, is such a gift.

This past year, once again, has been a year of learning.

I let myself reflect a lot in March. I look through old pictures of my mom, memories surface, things I haven't maybe thought of in five or ten years! It feels crazy and good. And is sometimes really hard. She passed away on March 25th. I think it is interesting that my heart and brain sort of lets me remember and feel the loss more in March than the other months.

Merit made Dirt Brothers, a traveling baseball team. Willem tried out for Prep League yesterday and is trying out again right now. Vance and I are very grateful that we can offer this opportunity to our kids. This means expense, travel and a whole lot of time. My brother Matt was on a traveling team for a while. It was not a great fit for our family. My parents had five children and my dad worked long hours. My dad had a lot of expectations of our mom and our mom was busy. Travel ball wasn't something our family could really do.

Our mom's time, interest and love were more than sufficient.

When I graduated from high school, not a penny was saved for me to go to college. Through financial aid and student loans I got my teaching degree. I worked all through college. For the last two years of college I worked full time and went to school at night and on Saturdays. It was so hard and it was so wonderful! My mom could not help me financially but oh man, she supported me every step of the way. This whole hearted support, although not through money, is something I have been more grateful for in my 40th year of life than ever before.

And in my 40th year, I have never been so thankful for my teaching degree. I LOVE subbing. I so enjoy being at Willem and Hazel's school!

This March I am so thankful for what I have had to work for.

And today, it is important to us for our kids to learn responsibility etc. Merit and Willem have become great babysitters! They babysit often. If I am running Merit to sports or the orthodontist or to an activity and Vance is still working, Willem watches the little ones. If I am taking Willem to an appt. or activity, Merit watches the little ones. And they watch Hazel and Oren so Vance and I can go out on the occasional date too!

So, these kids are getting to play sports, we camp, they have been on incredible fishing trips! But we teach them how to work too and how to contribute to our household running more smoothly. I pray God will help us to continue to do this.


I learned how to be a mom from my mom. 
I am grateful.

oh P.S. Willem made the team!!

Our busy summer of baseball just became a busy spring/summer of baseball. I wish I could call my mom and tell her.



1 comment:

Katie Allred said...

Love reading your posts... congrats to the boys on making those traveling teams! You will have a busy but very fun spring & summer. I'm bummed we won't see you at league games now. You've been on my mind a lot this week. I hadn't sat down to check your blog until today but now realize why. My prayers have been with you and your family as I know the end of this month is a difficult one. Love to you my friend!!!

Weekend Highlights!

Prom!  Stunning couples!  A gorgeous evening!  Willem and Raegen! Yesterday was the baseball parade and opening ceremonies! SO many people! ...