Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My mom's sweet influence

This week I am flooded with memories and thoughts of my dear mom. I am thinking so much of my siblings too, of my dad, of my grandma... as we all remember, cherish and miss my mom. The first picture I posted, I took of her in Target. My sisters and I LOVED shopping with our mom. We were the queen bargain shoppers. One of the last times I saw my mom, I met her and my sisters in Seattle and we did a day of shopping and ended it with dinner at the Keg. It was sort of a last minute plan we made for a cold January day and the time together and memories made have a very special place in my heart! None of us knew we would only have mom for another two months.
This is my youngest brother Phil and my mom. Those two had a very special bond. Phillip was in 8th grade when my mom passed away. As the years progressed, it became very evident how important a mother is in a teen boy's life. He once shared he doesn't remember a lot about that time and even the few years before losing her, because he blocked a lot out. Another huge challenge is having a support system when you are fourteen. Fourteen year old boys don't want to show a lot of emotion and feel uncomfortable with the sadness, his peers felt sad and awkward around him and Phil kind of shut down. What a tough time for Phillip. I love this picture of the two of them.



About ten years ago, my mom, dad and two brothers made the drive from Lynden to Moses Lake and cooked Thanksgiving dinner with me! Vance and I were newly married. Vance had to work Thanksgiving Day but was going to be home about 6 o'clock that evening. I enjoyed being in the kitchen with my mom and dad and so appreciated them making that drive to share Thanksgiving with us. My mom and I made placecards, we laughed a lot and just had a wonderful time being together.
The two turkeys.



12 comments:

Natasha said...

I just love all those pictures and reading all your memories! What a wonderful mother and friend she was. I cherish all the memories I have of her, thanks for sharing some of yours... I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Sandy said...

What a beautiful mom you have Michele. I pray that you will have a wonderful day tomorrow. Remember all the wonderful memories you and your family share. She gave you such a talent and I am sure she is very proud of you.

Daphine said...

Your mom is beautiful! What great memories you have of her. Thanks for sharing your heart with us today. Blessings to you dear friend and May God continue to give you peace and understanding.

Worsham Family said...

What a great mom!!! The apple definitely didn't fall far from the tree :) You have been in my thoughts quite a bit lately and I hope tomorrow only brings you happy memories and the peace your mom would want for you. Lots of love, Shelli

Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories! Your Mom was a beautiful lady! I can definitely tell that you miss her a lot. My thoughts are with you!

mariemolitor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mariemolitor said...

Thanks for sharing memories of your mom and sharing some of your heart! love you dear friend!

April said...

Michele~
Your mom was a beautiful woman, inside and out. What a blessing to have had her in your life! There's nothing quite like losing your mom, is there? Mine's been gone for almost 9 years now and not a day goes by that my heart doesn't ache for her! Cherish all those great memories of your mom. I'm sure she's smiling down on you from Heaven with pride at the woman and mother you've become.

Jill said...

Your Mom (My Aunt) was a beautiful person inside and out and she is greatly missed by all of us. I just love seeing these pictures of her. It brings back lots of great memories of her. I've been thinking of you all! Love Jill

Maria said...

What great pictures and memories of your mom! I know I never got to meet your mom, but she seems like a very fun person to be around. I hope those happy memories bring a smile to your face during this time. :)

Lesha said...

You are so good with words. I can totally relate to how you feel, sad, but trying to remember all the good memories. Isn't it amazing how the loss of one person can affect you for so long, actually forever. We will miss her while we are down here, but, just think, someday we will be up there with her! Love you, Lesha

Unknown said...

Your mom sounds so wonderful. Your brothers are also so lucky to have had her, and then to have you girls too. All of you are such wonderful, positive caring people. I know your mom couldn't be more proud if she were here today (but I'm sure she knows!)

Weekend Highlights!

Prom!  Stunning couples!  A gorgeous evening!  Willem and Raegen! Yesterday was the baseball parade and opening ceremonies! SO many people! ...