Thursday, August 21, 2008

A week of reflection



I have had a week of reflection. It started with buying Palmolive dish soap and having the scent bring me back to 11 years ago. Evidently, I am a Dawn girl...or I was. The green, easy on your hands Palmolive, totally brought me back to the Heckman Lake cabin, 11 years ago, when Vance proposed to me. I was washing dishes at the time~! Sweet memory .....

Also, I have thought of my mom so much in the last week. I bought an old I love Lucy episode at GoodWill on video and remembered my mom enjoying I love Lucy. I love Lucy, The Andy Griffith Show, My Three Sons, Mary Tyler Moore, these all bring me back to memories of my mom and growing up.

This recent rain has gotten me in the baking mood, something my mom was very good at. Those comfort foods we remember growing up are so soothing. I think I will make coffee cake later today.

My mom was patient, funny and very kind. I have only sweet memories of her.

I have also been reflecting because Merit will soon be a kindergartener! I have a school age child! I am so thankful that I have been able to stay at home with these boys. The playing, pretending, teaching and nurturing has really been a wonderful, challenging job. (Today isn't a day of pulling my hair out, so far, so it is a good day for this entry.)

If you have little ones at home, soak up each moment. If you still have your mom, tell her how much you love her.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Both very good ideas!! I appreciate your insight!!

mariemolitor said...

This gave me teary eyes. I wish I could have met your mom. How neat that you have special memories of time with her. You make such a wonderful mother and I'm sure you have much of your mom's style in you. love you! marie

Natasha said...

Ohhh, coffee cake! That sounds great. Do you have mom's recipe? If so, please share! We are so blessed to have such great memories of her.

Wild Will

  When Merit was a senior, I had all the feels.  Now that Willem is a senior, I have all those feels but they are intensified.  Because now ...