Monday, December 17, 2018

Right here in Washington

Willem and I had a fun little surprise on Saturday. We were headed to Merit's basketball game in Wenatchee and were having deep conversations about kind of big things. We spotted the antique shop near Crescent Bar. This shop is the one I always look over at but either we do not have time to stop and more often it is not open. The sign read OPEN and we had time! We pulled in.

The HISTORY of that building! And the fact that Willem shared my appreciation of it, dreamy~!
The welcoming owner shared a picture of what it looked like in 1928. It was a general store. He shared what the store looked like at that time, inside and out. His antiques were impressive and the "feel" of the store really awesome! Willem said if he owned it, he would live there.

On Sunday, Willem and I spent the day in Yakima - he had two basketball games. On my list of things to do one day while we are there is to visit a castle.  I have researched it - the castle! We will not be able to go in because it is occupied but we can see the grounds and the castle from the road. Don't worry, I will bring my camera! Oh and we will hit a burger joint because there are SO many good ones there!

Some people love to travel. I think traveling is cool, but I cannot believe what there is to see within a handful of hours of HOME! I haven't been to Orcas Island or Whidbey Island in twenty years, I hope to go. I have never been to the Oregon Coast (bucket list). I have never been to Montana. In the last few years, mainly through baseball, we have visited so many WA towns that I have fallen in love with. The kids and I took a drive to Wilson Creek two days before school started. We loved it! And there is a small town tavern there that I want to visit.

If one wants to experience beauty, there is so much of it it is right here in our state. The islands, lavender fields, tulip fields, wineries, mountains, hiking trails, museums, buildings with history... lakes, beaches, coffee shops, theaters....

Last summer, Merit, Hazel, Oren and I covered Tri Cities, Walla Walla and Pendleton over three days. Yes, I loved the baseball fields and basketball courts - the reason for our travel! But on the drive, the ranches and horses we saw, the wineries, the fields of mustard! Breath taking.



On Friday I made soaps with 40 kindergartners. I LOVE being in the classroom. The energy at Christmas time makes it hard to actually teach! :-)

I am thinking and praying for the little people this Christmas who may not love Christmas break. The ones who look forward to free breakfast and lunch at school and may not get a full belly at home.  The students in foster care, the students hurting, the children who are abused. Praying that people may see where the need is and help in some way. That we may know where to help and when to help.


1 comment:

Tami said...

Merry Christmas Michele! Thank you for the Christmas card. You have a beautiful family!

Weekend Highlights!

Prom!  Stunning couples!  A gorgeous evening!  Willem and Raegen! Yesterday was the baseball parade and opening ceremonies! SO many people! ...