Tuesday, August 4, 2009

totally random

Vance's aunt and uncle, Pauli and Harmon, and their two fantastic, smart, interesting boys (ages 15 and 11) were in Moses Lake today. They asked to meet me and the boys for lunch and wanted to come out to see where we live. They are here from Alaska.
Children have a way of keeping our lives interesting. Some occasional behavior of my children has a way of keeping me humble. If I thought I had two very respectful, polite boys yesterday -- God allowed me to see a different little dose of behavior today. I don't think we, as parents, are ever to become lazy and we need to be on our toes.... SO
THESE BOYS... I thought (HOPED) Willem might tire of making "tooting sounds" at a classy restaurant. I wasn't so lucky. Merit was speaking in sentences that didn't make any sense and wore a napkin on his head. Willem hoped I could find a bowl of strawberries and grapes on the kids menu because he had no desire to eat his favorite kids lunch, chicken and fries. And when the waitress spilled a container of ketchup that went splattering four feet, I thought these boys were going to pee their pants laughing!! Merit kept telling Will to pretend we were at a library (even Merit thought Willem was out of control) Willem just looked at Merit like he was crazy. WILD.
Now we are home and they are "angels" again... I just have to giggle. I wasn't giggling at Michael's on the Lake, but I suppose I can see a little humor in it now. The boys also both had dentist appts this morning and they did VERY well at their appts. I was so proud of both of them. I think we possibly should have hit a park after that, not a nice restaurant. :)
Vance has meetings in Spokane today -- but stopped at Cost Plus World Market there to get some Dutch Licorice for me -- yum!! I grew up eating that salty delicious stuff! What a guy!
I am experiencing some leg pain that has me not wanting to go too far! Last night in the night it was really something... pregnancy, I have to take the bad with the good because it is mostly good. Feeling this baby girl move, kick and hiccup is a joy. But recent discomfort makes me even more excited for the day this sweet girl is in my arms. :)

10 comments:

April said...

Hi Michele!
Sorry, but I had to laugh at the part about Willem making "tooting noises". As they say, "boys will be boys"! Hope you're feeling well and things are plugging right along. It won't much much longer now!

Mindy K said...

Oh, what a lunch! Glad you made it through it.

Can't wait to see the Jansen/Stuurmans Family Photos.
Thanks for setting that up.
Love it.
Great seeing you guys. Luke misses Merit and wondered why he only had two sleep overs.
Can't wait to see you again soon.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Mmmm, Dutch Licorice. Sounds good. I will have to try that!

Being a parent is very unpredictable. I never know what to expect! Your lunch sounded fun!

XOOX
Jen

Anonymous said...

Oh my... sounds like they had fun at the restaurant. Sorry you are feeling some discomfort!

Alisa said...

Oh Michele! I'm laughing! I remember a similar experience with my "little angels" when we went to dinner in NC with a couple who hasn't yet had children. I'm thinking they never will now!:) I'm praying for you in these final months of your pregnancy and can't wait to meet your little princess.:) BTW- I'm excited to try that Zucchini breakfast casserole. I have a ton of Zucchini to use and you can only make so much bread!:)

Unknown said...

I was laughing as I was reading, b/c I can totally relate! I'm sure anybody at the restaurant who is a parent can totally understand. Especially with boys, LOL!

I'm sorry about your leg pain. Sciatica is common in pregnancy, and so is restless leg. If it's restless leg, usually that means you need iron. Then the cramps stop. You might have your doc check your iron (you'll have to ask for "ferritin" b/c they won't test it unless you request it). I hope it gets better soon. I had it and it was very painful.

Maria said...

Boys are so much fun! I love that you can laugh at the crazy things they do and take it all in stride. Can't wait to see you when I get back to WA. I have been seeing too many cute little girl things.

Fans of Cash said...

Lynden YEA! Hope you feel better soon! And as you know Rick- Mindy' hubby is my first cousin. I love those little ones!

Jill said...

Ok so that's pretty funny but do recall going to the golden lion in Canada and going through the alpabet when we would here someone say eh?

Susanna said...

I know this was slightly uncomforable for you but good for me that I am not alone in such humbling feelings of childrens behavior and as always you tell a really good story. I'm still chuckling :D

Wednesday -

Laguna Beach Two days was not quite long enough. Merit has his head on straight. I think he is doing well.  I needed one more day.  It was g...