Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ketchikan, Alaska
















There is something about Ketchikan, Alaska. Every time I visit I wonder "could I live here?" I am not much of a rainy weather girl... I so appreciate the four distinct seasons we get here in Moses Lake, WA. But there IS something about Ketchikan... and the cabin where we stay (log house with running water, indoor toilet, and other luxuries) is a place to relax, regroup and revive... it feels good. We have so many memories with our boys there and I am reminded each time I go how precious our time with our children is... I have been thinking a lot this week about the responsibility of raising children and how I need to be diligent and prayerful. My friend Liz hosted a get together for me Wed evening. I was showered with love and support and darling pink baby girl things! My friend Marie shared a devotional, part of her focus was on our responsibility to raise our children to know and love Jesus. Then just this morning I was reading my sister Natasha's blog and was so touched by the words she included there and the scriptures she referred to. I feel motivated and encouraged to raise these boys up RIGHT (and this baby girl that's on the way!) I want to teach these children to know and love God. I want them to be honest and have integrity. My desire is for them to be self-controlled and to have a love for God's word.
So today, I am so thankful for the time we spent in Ketchikan. Thankful for the time with Vance, Merit and Willem and also my boys' Grandpa Vic, Aunt Carly and Aunt Kelcy.


I am also grateful for God's guidance in raising our children and for the responsibility we have as parents. The Christian Reformed Church's publication, The Banner, has an article written by Bob Hostetler in this month's issue. He gives permission to share. I have shared part of his scripture list today and will include the second half in a later post.


Salvation. “Lord, let salvation spring up within them, that they may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory” (Isa. 45:8, 2 Tim. 2:10).


Growth in grace. “I pray that they may ‘grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ’” (2 Pet. 3:18).


Love. “Grant, Lord, that my children may learn to ‘live a life of love,’ through the Spirit who dwells in them” (Eph. 5:2, Gal. 5:22).


Honesty and integrity. “May integrity and honesty be their virtue and their protection” (Ps. 25:21, NLT).


Self-control. “Father, help them to be ‘alert and self-controlled’ in all they do” (1 Thess. 5:6).


A love for God’s Word. “May they grow to find your Word ‘more precious than gold, than much pure gold; [and] sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb’” (Ps. 19:10).


May your week be BLESSED and may you feel God's presence!














9 comments:

Tami said...

oh M. I am so glad you are sharing. I don't make through the whole list for every guy everyday, but that is a lofty and good goal.

Maria said...

What fun pics of your time in Alaska! So glad you were able to get away for awhile and make more memories.

Mindy K said...

Hey Sister,
I can NOT wait for your blog to read:
"A Look ot the lives of FIVE people living along Crab Creek."
Your family is so lucky to have you.
Love Ya

Natasha said...

Love your AK pictures! Don't you just love that prayer list! Even if we could just pick out a few of those each day it could really be a blessing to our kids!

Alisa said...

Love your thoughts and pics.:) How did you manage to look so radiant in the rain and a life jacket?!:) Would love to know your secret.:) You are beautiful my friend. Pregnancy becomes you.

April said...

Hope you're having a blessed week, too! Those pictures of your are so pretty, Michele! I've always wanted to visit Alaska...even more so now!

Anonymous said...

Alaska looks so beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

It sounds like your Alaska trips are very special and meaningful. What a wonderful place to spend time together!

XOOX
Jen

Daphine said...

Great photos! And thanks so much for blessing me with these verses tonight! I really needed to read them!

Weekend Highlights!

Prom!  Stunning couples!  A gorgeous evening!  Willem and Raegen! Yesterday was the baseball parade and opening ceremonies! SO many people! ...