Saturday, September 26, 2020

Feeling fowl, school happenings...

It's Saturday! 


Willem and I are headed to the Farmer's Market soon - our favorite Saturday morning activity! Merit would join but he is pet sitting this weekend and has baseball in Ephrata today. 

We have had some topsy turvy days  - but school is going well for the most part. In person and at home. For Merit and Willem, they are just remote for now. Other than some tech struggles and them missing people we are pressing on. 

We found a chicken in our driveway Monday morning on our way to school. Willem and I got back from dropping off H and O and the chicken was still there. The chicken was still there at 5 pm when Willem and I went for a bike ride. 

I got the attention of the across the road neighbor just as the chicken was attempting to cross the road. (Insert a variety of jokes here)

He only spoke Spanish. I had my "wings" going. I all but demonstrated an egg coming out of the cloaca. I did a lot of pointing to the area where Willem and I had seen the chicken which, of course, had crossed the road or was hiding. 

Two dogs were threatening its existence shortly after the man left to go about his business. So, Willem and I went back to the house, grabbed a fishing net and went in for the rescue. 


Side note; Adventures like this with Willem are very fun! 


Willem captured the bird first try. We got it home on the golf cart. 

And yet another side story. One of our chickens LOVES the garage. She was broody in there for two months this past spring. Now she just runs in there to lay her egg. Daily. In the garage. Vance cannot handle this hen who continues to disobey our rules. And the poop, Vance is sick of the poop. He wonders if the fresh eggs are worth it. I am just sure they are. ;-)

So, as Willem and I pull up with a chicken in the golf cart, that I had wondered if it could be a rooster ( a tinge of turqouise in the tail feathers!! ) We add it to the flock and oh dear. It was evident oh so quickly that it was a rooster! Vance asked if he should strangle it or grab his machete. 


We released it near the creek. 


Life is never boring here. 

And country living really does suit us well. 


For zooms, each Jansen student is in their own room with their chrome books. They each have a desk. But when they are just doing their work, these two love to be together (surprise, surprise) Last year Oren had made the comment "I wish Hazel and I could be in the same class, so we could be best friends at school too."

Well, they are getting some of that! 






Mr. Shorttimer

No comments:

Life!

The baseball game Tuesday in Wenatchee was a letdown, but the drive home was not! I captured these beauties in Quincy -- And I had so much f...