Thursday, May 14, 2020

Longview Elementary/Homeless Camp

Walking in a gas station parking lot Sunday I nearly got hit by a speeding car, hollering profanities. The car raced into the parking lot, looking for the homeless woman I passed on foot.

Our homeless population is a heartache.

I don't know what the answer is. 

I knew a third grader a few years ago. She and her family had been homeless for a couple of years. She was the brightest, sweetest thing! During a very cold winter, a family let her family live in their shop or shed. Over time, they were placed in some housing. Our community helped them, Grant County Housing Authority I believe. The dad got a job. I saw the dad and the children get off the GTA bus once near Frontier. K, the third grader, spotted me. She waved and said "Dad, that's Mrs. Jansen!" I have so much respect for that girl.
 I don't know where she is now.

I remember she was a great reader. I subbed in her class. I complimented her on her reading. She told me that when you are homeless with no TV but do have access to books, you read a lot.

I have a heart. I have a heart for our homeless. But I do not want a homeless camp 638 feet from an elementary school. I don't know where it should go. But I do not think it should be that close.

I have to tread carefully. My goal is to not offend.

A lot of our Longview students live in mobile home parks and apartments, several walk to school. I want any outings to be safe. I want them to be able to visit Longview's play ground on the weekends. I want them to be able to walk to school safely. With a homeless camp 638 feet from our elementary school, all of this looks very different.

Not all homeless people are criminals, sex offenders, or abuse drugs. Sometimes homeless people are children. Sometimes they are disabled veterans. But from my observations, many of our homeless people are addicts.

As we consider an appropriate site for this camp, I pray that it is not near an elementary school. I get it, a few miles out of town, not tarnishing the look of downtown. But this isn't the best plan.

Longview's student population appreciates the help, assistance, and care of our community. I have to thank our superintendent, our district, and Longview Elementary School. We have so many working together to make sure online learning is a success! Free lunch and breakfast given out Monday through Friday is a huge blessing. CHS, our district, and a local church put together garden kits. We loved planting ours! What a cool gift.
Our kids are feeling the support and concern during this abnormal time, from their teachers, principals, secretaries, and the list goes on.
Considering our location and our student population, a homeless camp nearby is not a wise idea. These kids need us to help them learn and succeed, while being safe.





No comments:

Life!

The baseball game Tuesday in Wenatchee was a letdown, but the drive home was not! I captured these beauties in Quincy -- And I had so much f...