Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The March Pass

During March, the month we lost our mom, I let myself really "go back" and remember. I dig through old pictures. Every March, God allows me to remember more about my time with my mom. For this I am grateful.

My mom passed away on March 25th and a few years later, also on March 25th, her father - my Grandpa Ken- was called to heaven. My mom was 45, my grandpa 75 - many of us think those numbers aren't high enough, right? Those lives are too short. But we aren't the writers of the book and we have to accept the plan God has. Or at least it is better when we choose to.  March is certainly a month of missing two very dear people. Both my mom and Grandpa Ken were so easy to talk with. Both forgiving, funny, kind and wonderful.

I have had years of sort of spinning out of control, come March. Like being "stuck" the memories being really good but really hard and me really wishing her back. Knee deep in anything that made me remember her, I sort of got lost in wanting her back. Not wanting to deal with the many things that have to be dealt with - family of six, mom obligations...But the past few years have been more of a healthy remembering and honoring which has been a blessing.

This March - so far anyway- my thoughts take me to my youngest brother Phil often. He is a helpful guy! Being the youngest of 5 and three of those being older sisters, we doted on him, poured his milk till he was 10, we did a lot for him. You wouldn't know it now.


For several years after our mom was gone and once the grandchildren started being born, our family took a fun adventure together! My dad, all five of us kids, spouses and grandkids! Staying in Plain - just outside of Leavenworth -, Crescent Bar, Suncadia... and although we haven't done this in more than 4 years the memories we made will last a lifetime.
Pictured here, Phil dishing up the kids. 
Helpful and fun! 
My mom would LOVE to see the UNCLES Matt and Phil are! 






These weekend get aways were fun, funny, good... 


Oma's lodge - a beautiful place we rented in Plain - right outside of Leavenworth, Tasha is holding Brielle. She is pregnant with Case




For our family, little get aways within driving distance seem to suit us best. 
What I also love is to show our kids that we don't have to spend a lot of money, go too far from home or be elaborate to have a wonderful time with great memories made.




With or without some of those people we love the most - time presses forward. When we find JOY in the JOURNEY - the days are good. But we all need a "pass" to have days of longing and missing too. Let's show grace, to others and ourselves and treasure each day.

1 comment:

Shan and the J's said...

thank you for the reminder....sometimes we worry over friends if we feel they are stuck in mourning....but it is SO GOOD to allow those hard days and process through our missing the past and the could have been,but ultimately I LOVE how you process WITH eternal perspective and with your heart submitted to God's will over our desires....you truly are such an inspiration! I love you!!!

A Wednesday update

The weather today is gorgeous! I went outdoors with the second-grade class I was teaching today. We looked for a ring a student had lost (an...