Friday, June 5, 2009



cabin cozy






helicopter landing in our front field!

Thursday night our good friend Jeff surprised us and stopped by in a helicopter with a friend as the pilot! It was so fun to see a helicopter land in our front field! Merit and Vance loved their ride! Willem was a little afraid to go so I stayed back with him.




















Willem's eyes have really been giving him trouble. This could be one of three things according to our family Dr who Willem saw this morning: a sinus infection, allergies or a syndrome he was born with. I feel sad seeing him with such blood shot, puffy eyes - especially his left one. We are trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. When he was one he was diagnosed with a condition called Horner's Syndrome. It is a rare condition that affects the nerves to the eye and face. This involves miosis which is a constricted pupil and dilation lag. Sometimes involved with this syndrome there is a drooping upper eyelid, although this hasn't been something we have noticed with Willem. He is seen by an eye doctor and we monitor what is going on that way. It is a very rare syndrome however, with lots of possible causes. We are quite certain he has congenital Horner's. The unfortunate thing is some eye issues are currently present and these may or may not be related to his Horner's Syndrome. He struggles with bright light in the summer when we are outdoors a lot or at the water park.
He had no symptoms through the fall and winter.
Now, he has one eye that is puffy and bloodshot. And it is very irritating for him. My friend Maria came by today and we went for a little walk and clipped some yarrow, when we went back inside Willem's eyes were very red and puffy. This made me think it is allergies.
His sinuses were x-rayed yesterday and the Dr says it could be a sinus infection or allergies that is causing him to be all blocked in there. The air pockets that are typically seen were not. I started him yesterday on 21 days of antibiotics. The Dr will see him again in 20 days, at that point we will see what the medication has done and I will be able to observe more when his eyes give him trouble. Please pray for our little guy! I find myself researching and researching again Horner's syndrome. Wish I could have lunch with an eye dr this weekend!

6 comments:

Lesha said...

I am thinking of you. It does sounds like it could be allergies. I hope you have your q's answered soon with an easy treatment! Love, Lesha

April said...

Prayers for Willem headed your way! Hope he gets better real soon!

Anonymous said...

I will definitely keep Willem in my prayers. I hope that he feels better soon!

Maria said...

so sorry for Willem...I hope he is doing better then on Friday. our prayers are with him.

Mindy K said...

Oh, That is scary, Sounds like you are doing everything you can to make him comfortable. Hugs and prayers to all of you.

Susanna said...

Your poor babe Willem! You know I am praying for him. I hope he heals quickly. Allergies surely can be a yucky thing.

Wild Will

  When Merit was a senior, I had all the feels.  Now that Willem is a senior, I have all those feels but they are intensified.  Because now ...