Tuesday, January 21, 2020

School Lunch Ramblings

I have no problem making school lunches, until about March or April.

A win for me is that Hazel and Oren will eat bell peppers in their lunch almost every day! Last week three ziploc bags of orange and yellow pepper slices came home out of Oren's lunch. I asked Oren what was up. He said the kids said they were stinky and gross, so he decided not to eat them. I reminded him how much he likes them. When I am cutting them up for a salad at dinner, he is snatching them off the cutting board.

When I sub I walk the kids into the lunchroom. If I sub kinder, I stay for about 5 minutes. WHO are these kids dipping their grilled cheese in their tomato soup?? And eating every bite? I love it!!! WHO are these kids eating ANYTHING put out in front of them!? I love them.

BUT, WHO are these kids not taking one bite of their kung pow chicken or of their sandwich and asking to throw it in the garbage!? 

I cannot stand waste. 

My kids see this in me. Oren grabs a chocolate cupcake on Friday. Eats two thirds of it and puts the rest of it in a baggie. !! It was enough sugar for him which is why he was done, but he planned to eat the other 1/3 the next day. This, my friend, is why my kitchen is never tidy. 

I get a call from the school district tonight. It is regarding Hazel's lunch account. I am informed that she has $3.75 on her account. I ask her, "when was the last time you had school lunch?" She tells me it was when Mrs. Lincoln was her para. Um, that would be kinder. You are in 4th grade now. Why do I think this is so funny?? 

Never a dull moment. 

Merit has eaten at several college cafeteria's while at sports camps. He tells me it does not compare to our cooking and baking at home. This makes me feel good! That is, until he is away at college. 


No comments:

Life!

The baseball game Tuesday in Wenatchee was a letdown, but the drive home was not! I captured these beauties in Quincy -- And I had so much f...