Monday, March 11, 2024

BOOK IT!

 I have posted about this before, and I giggle a bit each time. One of those memories that sticks with ya.... 

My Brother Matt is 8 1/2 years younger than me and my brother Phil is eleven years younger than I am. When they were in elementary school, they had the opportunity to earn free pizzas through a program called Book It. After reading so many hours, readers would be awarded with a Book It pizza certificate - compliments of Pizza Hut!!  The reader could redeem the certificate for a personal pan pizza. 

We did not have a Pizza Hut in Lynden, so when the boys brought these certificates home, I was so excited and suggested to my mom that we go to Pizza Hut - in Bellingham! I said "The pizzas will be free!" She laughed and said each of the little boys getting a small personal pan pizza was far from a free lunch... we talked her into it. We drove all the way to Bellingham, my mom and us five kids... My dad will eat pizza, in the form of take out, but I am not sure he has ever gone to a pizza place. It's not his thing really. 

The boys proudly redeemed their certificates for their personal pan pizzas! We all ordered sodas - a special treat - and ordered pizzas for those who did not have the Book It certificates. We sat in a big booth!  I spilled my entire Pepsi or diet Pepsi in my lap. When my mom got her bill, her eyes were wide.

As a kindergartner, Oren earned a Book It personal pan pizza! I was thrilled! And the memories, well they came flooding back. 

Now, guess what is back?! The personal pan pizzas! A reward for reading! Oren is our reader who earned the certificate! Thank you Pizza Hut! We will be going this weekend hopefully!


No comments:

Life!

The baseball game Tuesday in Wenatchee was a letdown, but the drive home was not! I captured these beauties in Quincy -- And I had so much f...