Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Chicken Heartache

My afternoon yesterday had me irritated and discouraged. Thankfully this mornings sunshine, coffee, and a new day has me feeling encouraged...

But just a bit on yesterday. 
There is a house not far from here that attracts the strangest of people. 
No garbage pick up for these folks when they can put their garbage in their yard or in the back of a pick up truck. The current tenants had three dogs. They roam and get into mischief... they have two now. The man believes one of them was shot. 
I get home yesterday to see one of these dogs with one my chickens in his mouth. This house is not super close to ours. So this dog traveled to get into some chicken trouble. I hollered and yelled and tried to get him to drop my injured chicken. He ran with it. I followed him into the neighbors yard, he finally dropped it, white feathers flying everywhere. The chicken tried to run away and he picked it up again. Feathers and blood covering the dogs mouth. 
I can describe my feelings as highly agitated and sad. 
The neighbor lady helped me in this seemingly pointless fight. 
The dog is a strong young pup and oh my lands we could not keep it away from the chickens. 
I drove to the garbage yard house. I knocked on the door and a man answered. Without swearing at all I told him of the unfortunate situation and demanded he go get his dog from my yard. 
I think I woke him up for a nap. 
Our convo was the least pleasant of encounters I have had over the past few months.
Fast forward.
I had two badly injured chickens. A man who did not seem sorry, but beat his dog in front of me. (Side note, I blame the man far more than I blame the dog)
Two hours later both chickens had passed. Strangely, I wanted to knock on the garbage yard door and make him aware of the outcome. I still do. 
I also want to take him to Judge Judy.
There is more to this story but I have re-entered my discouraged state so it is time to switch gears.


Thanksgivings:

10 cent thrift store early reader books that I can share with Oren and the other kinders I love

Vance's willingness to cook dinner

The sunshine! 

Some people go on vacations to get away from life's stresses - I honestly am quite refreshed by things like watching Hazel ride horse or going on a long walk with friends, or a fun dinner out. I feel thankful for this. 

My chickens, the ones I have left

Garbage pick up

No comments:

Life!

The baseball game Tuesday in Wenatchee was a letdown, but the drive home was not! I captured these beauties in Quincy -- And I had so much f...