Monday, July 1, 2019

Reaching Out

This post will be vague in an effort to respect privacy.

Hazel and I have known a little boy for three years. A boy who is forgiving and brave. Along with these important qualities, he is also witty, smart, and fun.

We learned in November that he would be moved into foster care, the boy and his two siblings.

 Someone mentioned that he and his siblings might not be placed in the same home. Thanksgiving right around the corner, I fervently started praying. I asked my praying group of friends to lift this family up. I called Marilyn and begged her to pray, sharing a few vague details. 

A few weeks later we were invited to our friend's, the little boy's, birthday party.
He and his siblings were there. Not only had they been kept together, they got to go live with family members.

Fast forward some time. 
The kids miss their parents, there are financial hardships for the foster parents, and the children are feeling confused. 

Sometimes kids placed in foster care are not abused but neglected. Sometimes they only have one parent, maybe that parent is ill...

Sometimes parents aren't equipped to ensure their children get the proper help or nutrients. 

My dad came to visit in January. The day before he came, we spent part of the day with our friend, the boy in foster car and his siblings along with one of their foster parents. Money was very tight. Good care was being given to these great kids. 
I told my dad the whole story the day after we had been with them, the day he came to visit. 
He asked me if I could give the family some money. He wanted to give the family some money. 
I wasn't sure how, but had some people I could ask some questions. 
The beginning of June I still had the money and was not sure how to share it. The children now back with their parents, people I do not know, I just know the people who had fostered them.

It was then brought to my attention that free breakfast and lunch at school will be missed by these kids once school lets out.
It was brought to my attention that money for summer treats would be a hardship. I explained that my dad had given me money to give to these kids. A grocery gift card seemed like a helpful gesture. SUCH a cool thing, WINCO has "family friendly" gift cards. Alcohol cannot be purchased with the card. 

I am thankful to know we can pray for these kids. We can give these family grocery gift cards.We can treat them to a pizza night. Delivery or dine in. 

And as I watch my kids run and play and eat their ice cream, I remember to help the kids whose summer looks different. 

No comments:

Wild Will

  When Merit was a senior, I had all the feels.  Now that Willem is a senior, I have all those feels but they are intensified.  Because now ...