Sunday, June 14, 2020

Coop Fun!

When I was a little girl living on the Sunrise Road, someone anonymously dropped off a rooster and a hen in a gunny sack. If I had to guess, I would guess I was six or seven years old.
Someone pranking my dad, my mom thought... we let them out of the sack and let them run. The hen was the sweetest but the rooster was mean. I remember wanting to run out into the yard but looking out the window first to try to determine the location of the rooster, wanting to avoid being chased. Oh! I wish I could remember it all better!! It did leave an impression.

Fast forward 20 years. Vance and I bought a fixer upper in Boardman, Oregon and moved there. There was a chicken coop on the property. A co-worker of Vance told us he would like to bring us some chickens and roosters. He had too many. We said sure. He brought us TWELVE ROOSTERS!!! The crazy thing is they never caused a problem other than an early morning wake up call, or 12 early morning wake up calls. It's a blur as to how we even cared for them. They were primarily free range. They weren't cocky or bullies I guess because there were not any hens around. One of the roosters rode on my mother in law's car or my brother in law's truck to the hotel on the river there in Boardman and found a new area to roam. They were visiting when Merit was a newborn and told us about the rooster hitching a ride.

Well, now I have this cute hen house and six egg layers. We have accidentally gotten two roosters in the past three years and they were COCKY!










Merit played some baseball in Idaho this weekend. 
A fun tourney with an all day rain delay yesterday.





 on my walk last night I got some fun shots of these guys....



No comments:

Life!

The baseball game Tuesday in Wenatchee was a letdown, but the drive home was not! I captured these beauties in Quincy -- And I had so much f...