Friday, June 22, 2018

More than a trip to the Senior Center



I needed 45 minutes the other day. No talking, no conversing, no arguing. 45 minutes. Willem agreed to babysit. My stop, the Senior Center.

I arrive and the parking lot has a long line, in the heat. People waiting for free food. Bread and produce is what I saw. Elderly people, people with walkers, a few young mothers, one with a baby in a front pack. They came for food.


I didn't know many who were hungry as a child. I know of many who are hungry now that I am an adult. I am critical of the rich and of the wasteful. This is my shortcoming.


My mind does not stop. Early hours of the morning it starts going again. I am not sure how to stop this and maybe God made me so that I won't. My heart aches at times and my thoughts become more introverted.

A girl told me on the last day of school that she was not excited for summer break. She would miss school very much. This could have meant she would miss being fed. This could have meant she would miss her friends or her teacher or the consistency and care of school.


She cried in a cubby, the cubby where you put your coats and backpacks  - on the last day of school. I saw her today at Goodwill!! Oh how I loved seeing that girl! She told me she was doing summer school and could not have been more excited! I got to meet her mom! We don't share the same language but we shared a smile.

I don't know if I have shared through my blog in the past, but these kids are placed in my path! The kids I have felt concerned about! I see them thrifting or while grocery shopping and am reminded to pray.



P.S.
I found fabric for Natasha and Maria at the thrift store! I found a book, of course!
The senior working there was as kind as could be.
I left refreshed and with cute fabric.
I left with a prayerful heart.


We are missing Merit. He is on day 3 at Eastern's football camp. That boy has a heart of gold, a compassion that is somewhat rare in a 15 year old and is one of the easiest people to talk to.Tomorrow we will have him HOME.


These are "uneasy" times, yet I have a feeling of contentment. God given.


































No comments:

Life!

The baseball game Tuesday in Wenatchee was a letdown, but the drive home was not! I captured these beauties in Quincy -- And I had so much f...