Thursday, October 5, 2017

The Things Big Kids Say and Do

Raising bigger kids is good and hard and messy and beautiful.

We were at the Farmer's Market Saturday. We went to buy apples and raspberries, mainly. We bought our apples, we bought a couple of hot dogs (delicious). We got to the raspberries and I asked the man, "how much for a flat?" $15 he tells me (6 boxes) I reach into my wallet and see there is just a $10 left. How many boxes for $10? "3" the man tells me. So this is Willem, he quietly says: "Mom, don't buy them. If you can only get three boxes for $10 but could have gotten 6 for $15, the 3 for $10 is not a good value." I assure him I still wanted to buy them, knowing they would get eaten. We get to the car and he asks me why no one listens to him. This kid is SMART. Merit tells me that Willem will make millions some day. He also says Willem is a great person to have on your side but you wouldn't want to go up against him at anything. He is LOYAL. He won't eat any fat on meat. He likes two vegetables. His favorite food is pizza. He is a straight A student. He is a fierce competitor.

*note to self; listen to Will

Hazel got a new jewelry box at Goodwill, it is really more like a jewelry "tower." Watching her place her jewels in there was darling. And in the bottom of one of the drawers, there is a card I wrote her last summer. She kept that simple, special card.

We met our new niece and cousin Quinn today. Hazel adores her. I think watching Hazel look after Quinn and dote on Quinn will be a whole lotta sweetness.

I now hear things like;
"That candle smells good mom."
"Could you make more applesauce mom?"
"You did a good job on that."
"Thank you for your help."

Raising big kids has a new level of kindness. Well, on many days.

I went kayaking with Willem Sunday. Kayaking away from home was easy and relaxing. Heading back for home there was some paddling against the current. And then there was a small area where the current was swift. Wild Will and I could not paddle against it. He got out. The water was COLD! He walked his kayak to shore and came back and got me. He did not want me to have to get wet.
Our big boys are often gentlemen and for this I am so very grateful.

It has been a fun season of watching Willem play football too! 
He is playing well! 


Merit is an encourager. At home, with his siblings and his friends, through school and sports. Merit offers a lot of encouragement to his football team. I get as CLOSE as I can to the field, with my camera. I get close so I can take pictures. But I get close so I can hear what those boys and coaches are saying. There is a lot of learning going on out there and in many cases a lot of encouragement. 



I am praying for good rest. Sleep is something I do not do well at. 
I think that I know to appreciate each of these days, I also know that on the tired days it can be a struggle. 

My hope is I can just ENJOY. Not look too far ahead, not live with regrets, sleep well and keep on keepin' on. 

No comments:

Weekend Highlights!

Prom!  Stunning couples!  A gorgeous evening!  Willem and Raegen! Yesterday was the baseball parade and opening ceremonies! SO many people! ...