Friday, November 1, 2019

The gift of Memory

I am remembering things from my past vividly and clearly! Things I have not thought of in ten or twenty years.
My brain is really going over time, but my two most recent memories really had me laughing.

My Grandma Dorothy for years and years had her hair done every Friday. She wrapped her hair each night in toilet paper and bobby pins to keep the "do" done. :-)! She had the toilet paper neatly folded on a shelf in her bathroom near the toilet. A couple of times through the years when the toilet paper roll was empty, we pulled a few squares from her neat, folded stash. Only to have her not be able to wrap her full head that night. 
The memory brought me back to her awesome rambler, her hallway, her bathroom, my Aunt Janis' voice, my grandma's voice... and let me share another fun thing about this memory, my friend's Mark and Debbie listened to the toilet paper memory with such enthusiasm! 
Oh I miss my Grandma Dorothy! 

This "new life" I am living with all of the kids in school full time has allowed me more quiet hours of thinking. This has been a blessing and a curse.
Mostly a blessing.

 Grandma and her "great grands" the summer of her 90th birthday!

Book It
 I thought Book It was a thing only when brother Matt and sister Tasha were elementary kids. 
Kids who read daily or a certain number of hours through the month received a certificate for a personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut. I remember Matt and Tasha bringing home these certificates and thinking "yes! We are going to Pizza Hut in Bellingham!" There was not and is not a Pizza Hut in Lynden. 

Typically our Saturday outing was grocery shopping and going to Grandpa Ken and Grandma Alma's (which we loved!) My mom was also running kids, cleaning, yard work in the warm months, and the list goes on. She had a lot on her plate. And many Saturday nights our mom and dad went out to dinner. But one Saturday - the usual "to dos" were set aside and we were redeeming two personal pan pizza certs!
Our mom did not go to Pizza Hut in Bellingham - I don't think we'd ever been and now as an adult and mom of four, I realize two "book it" coupons do not equal a free lunch, especially when a few family members don't have a coupon. :-)!

I remember, vividly, sitting in the booth! So thankful my younger siblings got us to Pizza Hut in Bellingham -- ha ha! It was so fun. I remember ordering a large Pepsi and spilling the entire thing! I was in high school.
I remember the bill coming and my moms eyes were big. 
So many things about that day have come back to me! All because my sweet Hazel and my diligent Oren brought home book it certificates. 
I'm taking them to Pizza Hut, Moses Lake! And Merit and Willem are coming too! 

The gift of Memory

No comments:

Life!

The baseball game Tuesday in Wenatchee was a letdown, but the drive home was not! I captured these beauties in Quincy -- And I had so much f...