Monday, April 15, 2019

Tis the Season



This is the season of 
sunflower seeds in the pockets of baseball pants
going through gallons of shout in a few short months 
 a layer of dust and dirt over your teeth and skin as a result of windy baseball games
SBAC and NWEA tests (if you have school aged kids)
It is a season of spring flowers coming to life, garden centers blooming (or booming) and kids wanting to play outside until dark
Kids begin the countdown of "how many school days are left"
Hazel will get back to a little horse back riding after a very late, somewhat long winter
I register Oren Paul for kinder on Thursday night - or any time after if I can't handle doing it Thursday night. 




Through my years of parenting and also subbing I have heard sad stories, funny stories, stories that made no sense and stories I will remember forever. I have been so pleased to witness wonderful acts of kindness and sweet moments of friendship.

Tears sneak into my eyeballs a little more quickly than they once did. 

And because I have a high schooler, a middle schooler, an elementary student and a pre-schooler, I see that every stage is FUN!, very important, trying in its own way, beautiful and fragile.

When I think of Oren going to kindergarten in the fall, full time kinder, the tears sneak in. But what I want to do next year is venture out a bit when it comes to substitute teaching and teach a little junior high and high school. New, good challenges

Years ago I was subbing in Umatilla, Oregon. I remember the classroom so well. It was second grade and the teacher left me great plans. A student, a young boy, shared that his parents had gottten in a big fight the night before. He was sharing in front of the entire class. Someone asked "what was it about?" And a separate child, not the child sharing, said "probably insurance."

Why is that so funny to me? Or not funny. 
The truth is, I bet a lot of people fight about insurance. Vance and I were both wound super tight about insurance this morning. 

So whether you are stressed about insurance, losing twenty pounds, trying to make it to your kids 10 activities this week or how to get baseball pants white again, chances are you are not alone.

And on the days things really seem to feel overwhelming, 
bring a teacher or a friend a coffee
buy a great book for an elementary classroom
breathe deeply
go for a walk with a friend
and PRAY




 I was really in the mood for some throw backs today!





















No comments:

Life!

The baseball game Tuesday in Wenatchee was a letdown, but the drive home was not! I captured these beauties in Quincy -- And I had so much f...